My Mooc

My Mooc

di RICCETTI ARIANNA -
Numero di risposte: 4

Good evening to everybody,

I’d post a first feedback about the course that I am taking. I have found very interesting the Mooc already mentioned by a colleague, which is, "Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects" and I have chosen to take it since the topic of the personal development has always interested me and I have thought that it could be useful to me. In the first week the course focused on the description of the brain function, the working memory and the long-term one and it introduced the learning modes (diffuse mode and focus mode) and some techniques that help us to improve our way to learn. The technique that fascinated me most is called "pomodoro" and it suggests to focus on studying a specific topic for 25 minutes, take a break and get a reward. I’ve already used this technique but with no success.. I’ll keep trying!

Last night I’ve listened to the interview of the Dr. Robert Bilder who directs the consortium for Neuropsychiatric Phenomics, which is a team of more than 50 investigators most centered at the University of California in Los Angeles. During this interview he was talking about a video called “power ten” (I haven’t found the same and exactly video he was talking about, but I’ve found another one that works at the same way at this link

) that basically starts with an imagine of a man sitting or lying in a hammock. And then the camera zooms ten feet above, then 100 feet above, then 1,000 feet above, it goes by powers of ten. Ultimately you're exploring the cosmos in outer space. And then it zooms back down into the man. Then it goes powers of ten inside the skin. Goes into the cell, goes down and reveals the molecules.

The purpose of this video is to stimulate the creativity and to use it as a problem-solving mechanism,trying to figure out what's the higher altitude view, stepping back from a problem and thinking about well, why am I doing this? What's the bigger picture?

This seems to me a good point of reflection and I’ll try to apply it when it’s gonna be possible.

Regards,

Arianna

In riposta a RICCETTI ARIANNA

Re: My Mooc

di GALLIGANI BEATRICE -

I think this video shows the importance of zooming in and out while considering a problem but, above all, it reminds that we all should give the right priorities to things of everyday life...

For instance some students consider an exam as the most important thing of their existence, are we sure it's that big a deal?